Feature: Andrew McKinley

This is the first in an occasional series focusing on people in and around the Bay Area who help make it such a lively place for art & culture. Dear local person and personality, Mr Andrew McKinley, is owner of Adobe Books and a long-time dedicated patron of the arts. Adobe Books in San Francisco’s Mission district has been the heart & soul of that neighborhood’s artist community for nearly twenty years, and has always been a welcome meeting place for artists, writers, musicians, and people of every walk of life. Thanks, Andrew. And many thanks to Tammy Fortin for fine labors on this project.

Comments (17)

• miss tammy. miss adobe. miss s.f.

• David Lugn says:

Tammy thanks for the lovely (and stylish) portrait of both Andrew and the space he living room he provides to so many! Good job! A worthy film, congratulations on the large clear plastic pyramid award! I love you! David Lugn and Anja

• David Lugn says:

Tammy! I’m pleased to see I bungled my message! It’s all a jumble! That’s the future, right here, on this thin inner space, this InterNet.

• Wow- that should totally win an award- oh wait- it did! A lovely picture of that little epicenter- will you make a documentary about me next?

• Yes, Wow, and Thank you, Andrew Mckinley, the most modest of San Francisco social stardom…

• well done.

• Yes! thank you for this film! Adobe Books is such a sanctuary for so many people, a place of inspiration – a true agora! Thank you Andrew for creating such a place that has fed so many people!

• Leigh Gallagher says:

Fantastic portrait of one of the most genuine people I know. Thank you!

• see the large share of thanks in above postings?
    means it is all a releif in the feild of creativity in lifes expression.

• Pelin Ariner says:

Sorry Andrew– you’re pretty cool and all but the Old Testament prophet steals the show. This feature would make me wanna come to SF even if I wasn’t already moving there.

• this is thoroughly awesome

• Gave me goosebumps!

• Alex Nowik says:

Oh man. Thanks Tammy, that is so great.

• Ingrid Keir says:

This makes me SO happy. I heart Andrew McKinley!!!

• Hi Andrew!
    Long time, no see. Saw that one picture of you on your store’s MySpace page. (Looks like “OK, if you MUST take a picture of me…”) Never realized you had blue eyes. Lived together 3 years and never noticed. Go figure. Of course there was a lot I didn’t notice back then.
    Take my daughter to tag sales and tell her about all our exploits in Westchester, especially: “Are you looking for anything in particular?” “Yes,” he replied, “bargains!” (And she frowned.)
    Still at 50 Alvarado? 841-5071? (See? I never forget a number.)
    xxoo – D.

Show all responses (17) Leave a comment

Please tell us what you think. We really love conversation, and we’re happy to entertain dissenting opinions. Just no name-calling, personal attacks, slurs, threats, spam, and the like, please. Those ones we reserve the right to remove.

required

Join our newsletter for infrequent updates on new posts and Open Space events.
  • Required, will not be published